/* */

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Cheltenham Festival - (15 Mar 05)

Cheltenham Festival thoughts and comments for tuesday can be found under the 'Principle Meetings and Races' Link. 'Wart's n All' post festival thoughts for the day will be posted on this thread.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 15, 2005 8:16:00 pm, Blogger Slipperytoad said...

Carnage absolute carnage with electronic betting slips torn to shreds and blow away!

However as I write this after reviewing the recording from today’s event, I am truly amazed how good the racing is at this level. The excitement (even if you didn’t back the winner) was fantastic.

In the post match review there are a number of key factors that I missed in my race analysis. The key one being the pace of the races (especially the novice and hurdle events) was fast and furious. This may have been due to the ground conditions (good) but I suspect that a quick pace is normal for a Cheltenham festival.

You absolutely need a horse that races prominently and can make every yard of the trip at this track AND the horse must be in tiptop condition OR lightly raced. A number of yards that prepared their horses appropriately landed some nice ‘touches’ at the expense of other punter/bookers today. How you determine if the horse has been specially prepared for this event is the difficult bit and also an absorbing puzzle.

From a results perspective the Placepot crashed and burned in the first race (£43 pounds up in smoke) along with the losses of Justifed and Chilling Place. Both raced prominently in the early part of the race (1st and 2nd) and both tailed off 3 fences from the finish.

In the 3:15, the well fancied Back In Front was never at the races, however a small return from a saver on Hardy Eustace gave me a little ammunition for Wednesday. I for one do not fault the ride of Paul Carberry’s ride of Harchibald. The horse does not like to stick its neck out when the going gets tough and that’s not the jockey’s fault.

The big mistake in the 4:00 was weight and previous form and in hindsight all of my selections were up against it.

So there ends the first day of Cheltenham, the first of many (successful) days in my punting career. However as I keep on stating, I have a long way to go before I am confident enough to reach a level were I can risk large amounts to win (especially the £60,000 bet)

Hardy Eustace
£80000-£20000, £40000-£10000, £20000-£5000, £4000-£1000, £350000-£100000, £210000-£60000, £350000-£10000(x2), £17500-£5000, £14000-£4000(x2), £7000-£2000(x7)

or lose (by a neck)

Harchibald
£40000-£5000, £10000-£1300, £21000-£3000

 

Post a Comment

<< Home