The Cheltenham Festival Meeting
I can’t wait for Cheltenham.
My first experience of Cheltenham was last year and I vowed then that I would make this event the target of my punting activities post Christmas (along with the Aintree Grand National).
In preparation for the National Hunt Festival meeting I have been gathering and collating the relevant stats and facts and I shall use this thread to post my thoughts, news and comments.
Labels: Principle Races

News Feed
13 Comments:
Race by race guide
http://www.cheltenham-festival.co.uk/
Handicap stats by Paul Jones, Cheltenham Festival Betting Guide author
http://bigrace.attheraces.co.uk/news.asp?opt=Handicap+Stats
I have received my copy of his book which will be bed time reading for the next few weeks
A link to a site with stats and facts PLUS they are offering you £600 worth of Free Bets on The Cheltenham Festival!
http://cheltenham.free-money.co.uk/
As festival stats and facts are well researched and in the public domain, I would like to think that I could bring a new insight, angle, thread to find winners in the festival events. Alias not, so I’ll stick to basic comments and selections
Course Description
This course has extremely stiff fences. Left handed, there is a testing uphill run-in of 237 yards on the new course. *Front-runners have a poor record*. Horses must stay every yard of the trip and previous form at Cheltenham is worthy of note
2:00 - Letheby & Christopher Supreme Novices' Hurdle (Class A) Grade 1
For the winner, we need to find one that was first last time out and Irish trained. It is hard to see passed the changes of Justified. The only doubt is that he has no Cheltenham form. From a placepot perspective, Chilling Place loves it around here and has winning form at Cheltenham.
In terms of bets I will back Justified (1pt). Chilling Place for the place (.5 pt e/w) and both go into the placepot
2:35 - Irish Independent Arkle Challenge Trophy Chase (Class A) Grade 1
A race not to get too heavily involved in according to the Cheltenham betting guide so I shall sit this one out. From a Placepot perspective we need to seek horses with course form, non-front runners, and runners from the Nicholls and Pipe camps.
Therefore I will side with Contraband, War of Attrition and My Will as my placepot selections.
3:15 - Smurfit Champion Hurdle Challenge Trophy (Class A) Grade 1
Back to punting in this race I have a feeling that Back In Front will win this race. However I shall also have a saver on Hardy Eustace. (£6, £4)
Both go into the placepot.
4:00 - William Hill Trophy Handicap Chase (Class A) Grade 3
Bookie sponsored race = poor favourite stats. The statistics look good for a horse that I have following closely for a long time (Tikram – 1pt). I shall also have a good punt on the following horses. Joly Bey (1pt) and Whereareyounow (1/2 Point each-way). All are placepot selections
4:40 - Sporting Index Handicap Chase (Cross Country Chase) (Class B)
A no bet race and potential placepot buster! No official stats and facts to go on, however my selection criteria are that the horse must stay, that the horse has course form or acts on a sharp track (given this race is being run on the cross country course) and is lightly weighted. Placepot selections are the Paul Nicholls runners of French Executive, Un Jour a Vassey, Comanche War Paint who all have shown good form at Cheltenham or placed behind Spot The Difference, who has gone up 9 lbs
5:20 - Fred Winter Juvenile Novices' Handicap Hurdle (Class A) (Listed Race)
Another impossible race to solve and I have used similar criteria for the placepot selection as the 4:40 race. Selections are Miss Academy, Napolitan, Amarula Ridge, Papini.
I am so tired and exhausted after a long night reviewing the facts, stats and form, therefore the summary will be brief today. I live approx. 45 miles away from Cheltenham and it is currently raining outside. Therefore I will wait until the last possible moment before placing any bets. Only a small placepot today given that my fingers were burnt yesterday.
2.00 Gr1 Royal & Sunalliance Novices' Hurdle Race (A ) 2m5f
Preference for 5/6 year-olds. Form prior to Cheltenham usually holds up. The favourite usually wins.
Selection: Gold Medallist (1pt win), Reveillez (placepot)
2.35 Gr1 Royal & Sunalliance Steeple Chase (A ) 3m110y
A difficult race to call. A staying type required. Hot favourites have been turned over on a number of occasions. 7 year olds (followed by 8 year olds) have the best record. A race to avoid from a punting perspective.
Selection: Cornish Rebel, Brave Spirit, and Tribal Venture (placepot)
3.15 Gr1 Queen Mother Champion Steeple Chase (A ) 2m
Perm 1 from 3. I already have an anti-post bet on Azertyuiop
Selection: Azertyuiop (2pt win), Moscow Flyer (placepot)
4.00 Gr3 Coral Cup A Handicap Hurdle Race (A ) 2m5f
Bookie sponsored event. A light weight is required here (anything less than 11-0), a recent win last time out. Preference for 6/7 year olds.
Selection: Anatar, Fairwood Present (placepot), Jack Dawson (.5 pt each-way)
4:40 - Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Challenge Cup Handicap Chase (Amateur Riders) (Class B)
Side with the leader Amateur Riders and horses carrying less that 11st and with a recent run. A potential placepot buster.
Selection: Pearly Jack, Ulusaba, Indalo (best Amateur rider) £1 win bets given the prices on offer. All placepot selections.
5.20 Gr1 Weatherbys Champion Bumper A Standard Open National Hunt Flat Race
Irish trained. 5 year old. Big field experience
Selections: Itsmyboy, Lennon, The Mick Weston (placepot)
3:15 - totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup Chase (Class A) Grade 1
lightly raced 7,8,9 year olds with good Cheltenham festival form are the one to side with.
Selection: Kicking King, Celestial Gold (1pt win)
Post a Comment
<< Home