/* */

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Warts and All (20th June 2006)

Over the weekend, I took a hard and critical look at my performance over the last few months. This task was started as a result of analysing our product manufacturing statistics at work due to an R&D cock-up, but that is another story.

Talk about not seeing the woods from the trees!

There has been a lot of variability in my performance as indicated by basic results chart. The obvious reason for this was a lack of consistency in my approach, pretty fundamental stuff, but I’ve been so focused on aiming for the moon that I missed the fact that I need to get off the ground first.

I’ve been down this road before but what I failed to do previously (like our R&D bods) was to operate within the bounds of a process that was repeatable and measurable.

With nothing written down on paper, I had no hope of achieving the consistency required to reach the level of performance required for continued success. What was the point in aiming for a capital growth strategy when the method for achieving that growth was fundamentally flawed?

So, over the weekend, and a lot of late nights I devised and documented an outline for selection, tweaked as a consequence of applying this process against all races from Saturday until today I’m now happy that I am heading in the right direction.

However all processes need to be measurable so at the moment I am focusing on devising metrics to determine when the basic process is going out of control. After that onto CSF’s


“Critical success factors (CSFs) are those things which must go right for the organization to achieve its mission.”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home