Warts and All - A Late 2007 Review (15th January 2008)
Wrote these comments in the deepest darkest depths of Frankfurt Airport in transit to Japan (don’t ask why via this airport, it’s a long story) so it was a perfect time to settle down with a few German beers to review 2007.
Previous reviews contained lots of stats and facts in respect to positive and negative aspects of my punting based on accumulated data throughout the year. Alas I cannot say the same about this year. Unfortunately, a poor refection of my professionalism last year has resulted in a lack of records to analyse,
Why? Because I spent most of 2007 struggling to achieve anything near the profit and consistency levels required to reach that elusive status of “Professional Punter”
A key reason for lack of measurable success was due to the fact that I spent vast amounts of time tinkering with different selection methods and handicapping approaches. Talk about trying to shoot a moving target.
When I look back at my comments from last year, it struck me that from pure profit and loss metric, 2007 was a disaster.
However, the positive side I now have a much better understanding of the technical side of handicapping horse races.
In addition, I have reached the point where I am conducting original research into winning methods and so far a few are proving to be yielding fruit in respect to angles and back door routes into certain races, especially the difficult lesser of evils grade 6 handicaps. I have also identified winning methods and approaches in 2yo races and consider myself to be a bit of an expert on All Weather racing.
As many may have noticed, I have also changed my approach to this web site. No longer am I looking to post my selections in a manner similar to many who maintain horse racing web sites such as mine. Basically I’m not a tipster and from now onwards I will look to use the web site to post my "thoughts" on where I am currently and where I heading on my journey toward becoming a consistent and profitable winner.
What has become abundantly clear recently in reviewing current and written notes, especially in the last few months is that I am much more effective (well on paper anyway) when making selections in the final half hour before the race starts (after I’ve done my homework). It is during these moments I find it easier to compare my view against the crowd.
Unfortunately, the biggest issue I have is how does one combine punting and the demands of a day job? I never seem to have the time these days to fully do justice to handicapping.
Looks like I’m about to join the mass ranks of weekend punters until I have more time.
Off again to the United States, soon, so yet again another enforced absence from punting until the end of January.
Labels: Warts and All

News Feed
3 Comments:
Don't forget to enjoy it old boy. I enjoy horsearcing and picking winners.
You do alot of flying with your job, which takes away valuable time for the horses.
In fact, you fly so much, my guess is you are an air stewardess.
The answer is - automate! (That's what your PC is for). Good luck.
Sandtrader: I do travel a lot but I am not a Flight Attendant. I am a technical consultant for a well known American Computer/Printer company.
Anonymous: With a degree in Computer Science you would think that I would have realised that using a computer to automate record keeping would have been obvious. Alias I have been very lazy in 2007 and intend to correct this bad habit in 2008 by using the computer to keep betting records and track profiles of what is winning on the all weather surface
Post a Comment
<< Home