/* */

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Taunton - 2:50 (9 Dec 2004)

Brendon Hills Handicap Chase (Class E) 5yo+ 2m 3f

Course Description
Right handed long oval-shaped course with seven ‘easy fences’. Previous course winners should be supported. The chase course run-in is only 150 yards so, a horse must be well to the fore as they come over the last fence.

Analysis
In the words of Derrick Thompson “they won’t be messing about” and I expect a fast pace given 4/5 runners who prefer to front run.

The obvious selection is Idealko who based on last years performances is taking a drop in class and distance in this event. A front runner and 2nd last time out after a 214-day absence from the track, improvement is expected.

However, with a fast pace guaranteed I expect the lead horses to get tired trying to out gun each other therefore, I will look for the winner to come from off the pace.

Sacrifice is an ultra consistent horse with decent form at Taunton. Unfortunately he is on a very long losing run and maybe, just maybe given his top speed rating this could be his day. Another horse I like the look of is Barnards Green. Proven over course and distance, he also likes to race prominently. Based on pure form he is 7lbs above a winning handicap mark and therefore needs improvement but given his preference for sound going, he has conditions to suit and should go close today.

At current odds on Betfair of 3.7 Idealko is a bit too short therefore, I’ll take the bold step of backing both Barnards Green and Sacrifice.

1 Comments:

At Friday, December 10, 2004 3:00:00 pm, Blogger Slipperytoad said...

Sacrifice was placed 5th @ 4/1
Barnards Green was placed 7th @ 10/1

 

Post a Comment

<< Home