Nottingham Race Course - Post Meeting Thoughts
In reviewing card with 4 handicaps and 1 listed race I decided to get involved in all first 6 races. As it turned out this crucial decision determined my profit on the day. The second crucial decision was changing my mind in terms of my overnight shortlist. But I will get on to this later.
The paddock at Nottingham is very picturesque so I decided to do the right thing and review the runners pre-race. I can safely say that I don’t have a clue what indicators I was looking for. But the sight of the thoroughbred horses waking around the parade ring on a sunny day gave me a fantastic feeling. The only problem is again I have not no idea was constitutes a ‘ready’ horses and given this activity is very time consuming; and had (or has) little bearing on my results thus far I gave up paddock watching after the third race.
1:55
With the rails on the stands side, and based on Friday’s results which indicated a high draw bias I opted initially for Brigadore drawn against rail. A 5/1 favourite I wasn’t overly confident in this selection and decided to opt for a saver on Cat the Cat at 8/1 which proved to be fortunate given that he romped home by 1½ lengths to win at odds of 8/1. A £15 profit on the race was a good start.
2:55
Charmatic, Inchpast were the initial selections on ratings. But as they were drifting in the market I went with Inchpast and Far Pavilions at 5/1 that duly obliged and Inchpast came 3rd. Two from two winners so far I was in my element and strutted around the course like I owned the place.
3:00
Down to earth with a bump! Overnight I was convinced that Sprit of France based on ratings, trainer record and draw would romp home on the stands rail at pretty decent odds. At the conclusion of the race, down went my £5 bet along with a £5 bet on Oranmore Castle and to rub salt in the wounds my £6.40 placepot also went up in flames.
However, the key fact was that the first three home came from low’ish draws. In the first race the 2nd and 3rd horses came from draw 4 and 1. In this race, the winning stalls were 5,8 and 3. If there is one reason for going racing this was it! The bias over 6f was definitely benefiting the low drawn horses.
3:30
With Kind drawn 1 and doubts about Ringmoor Down, my confidence high and I secured 4/1 in the jungle that is the betting ring. But yet again I managed to convince myself that Honey Rider would secure a place (£5 e/w) even though she was not proven in listed company. I should have taken the sign of her going to post early as a poor indicator of her chances
For some reason, I decided to take an elevated position to watch the race, but like an idiot I had stood away from the course commentary speakers and couldn’t hear a thing through the cheering and screaming. From the reaction of the crowd at the finishing line, I thought Ringmoor Down had won, but a quick glance at the TV screen showed that Kind had won easily.
4:00
I knew that this was a bad race but over confidence got the better or me and I went for £5 wins on Band (7/2 fav), Game Guru(12/1) and Cronkyvoddy(14/1). What an idiot!!! Its times like this that I need to sit out a race or two if the vibes are not right but I let my emotions get the better of cold hard logic.
4:35
I was definitely in mug mode at this stage and I completely lost all sense of judgement to bet in another race where small stakes were advised.
The stats indicate that a low draw was the place to be. Bu I ignored this and also ignored my overnight selections to back Burton Ash (9/1), Bridegroom(11/2) and Alexander Capetown(16/1). The result was that my overnight selection Three Wrens won at 11/2. My betting slips joined the pieces of confetti on the ground and I trudged out of the course.
Summary
I still managed to walk out of the ‘office’ in the black but like a mug I blew away my profit on races that I should have passed by. The key leanings are that I should ignore paddock watching as a data source for my bets with the exception 2yo races. The paddock inspection is then easy, does the horse look fit or not.
Finally I should carefully target races to get involved in and I need to control my emotions. Attending race course meetings is a thrilling experience, but at all times I need to keep in mind the real reason for my attendance. That is to build up relevant experience for the big day when I have reached professional status. The fun only starts once I’ve secured my big opportunity of the day. Once this over I should draw stumps and spend the rest of the day relaxing whatever the result.

News Feed
1 Comments:
The reason for the draw bias changes from the stands rail to the far side
[Comments taken from the Racing Forum]
From todays RP letters page:
I have a half share in Guns Blazing,who ran at Nottingham on May14
Having watched the previous days racing at the track,it was clear that a high draw was a significant advantage,so we were delighted our horse was drawn 16 of 17
Brigadore,another paceyhorse was drawn 17,and one of these two would surely lead on the rails.
Guns Blazing,purely and simplya 5 furlong specialist,was a very disappointing ninth,with the jockey amazingly reporting that the horse could not travel up with the pace and needed 6 furlongs
On reflection,with the race being won by Catch the Cat from stall 11,with stalls 1 2 and 4 all in the frame I considered the going had been significantly altered from the previous day.
I went to the weighing room and waited to speak to clerk of the course Nick Patton.During my wait,I related my concerns to Simon Mapletoft of ATR,who along withEmma Spencer was there to air concerns that no time either manual or automatic was available for the race.
When Mr Patton arrived he informed me he had watered two thirds of the course overnight"to even up" the ground from the previous day.He had not watered the strip of ground closest to the stands rails.(Bottom says this makes no sense as stands rail is high,error in printing???)
I considered that horses with high draws were racing on loose and unsafe ground,and this view was endorsed by the 2 other 6 furlong races with horses drawn high stumbling and losing their footing and jockeys now aware of the problem seeking to come down the middle of the course.
Following racing I found myself standing next to the owner of Brigadore.He was also unable to believe how disappointingly his horse had run.
He told me that,as the owner of one of the fastest breaking horses in the North,he could not believe the jockey had reported his horse needed 6 furlongs,not because of his ability to stay that distance but because he was not quick enough to lie up with the pace.He was amazed as me when i related the couirse had been selectively watered.
Later that evening,on the RP website,the time given for the race was 1.7 secs quicker than standard and a course record- all beinghorses from a less favourable draw.
Having spoken to the Jockey Club,it was reported to me that rules were rather nebuluos about course watering and it was left up to the Clerk of the Course to decide what action to take.
The gentleman stated Nottingham reported no complaint about the going had been made.What had i done then? I made my complaint to Mr Patton in front of the Jockey Club rep and in earshot of the 2 ATR reporters.
My concern is that the watering rule is a fiasco.The going was affected by the watering at Nottingham.yet no announcement was made to trainers or public advising them only part of the course had been watered.
-----
cheers
ec
Post a Comment
<< Home